Friday, January 29, 2010

‘An icon for the struggle of life’


Nkosi Johnson
‘An icon for the struggle of life’
Nkosi is in many ways the very reason for this series of posts. Born Hiv positive Nkosi went on to become one of the most famous spokes people against discrimination he initially was not allowed to begin school because of his Hiv status a subsequent legal battle ensued and Nkosi won the right to school but the battle was won for all Hiv positive people. Nkosi highlights the power that one (voice a child nonetheless) can have.
Nkosi to me is the embodiment of the spirit I believe everyone should have and especially the youth of our generation. A child born with the odds stacked against him he managed to touch the hearts and souls of millions of people the world over. Its amazing that in a situation that to many would seem hopeless his hope seemed to spring eternal optimism seems a misnomer he was more than an optimist.
Nkosi has received many awards including being named one of south Africas most influential individuals this is a great feat to be named amongst great names such as Oliver Tambo and Walter Sisulu of course Nelson Mandela.I know I have chosen a South African as my first post and this isn’t very patriotic however I believe that Nkosi transcends such barriers as nationality race what he stands for is universal and it is a message of hope. I know that Nkosi is gone but his message and spirit lives on.
Next post I will look at my icon ‘in the stuggle for freedom’
A luta Continua

No comments:

Post a Comment