Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Giving is cool

Today I asked myself why is it that I worry about how I look before I
worry about how people see me. I don't mean how My clothes fit or what
I am wearing but what kind of person I am. I have just finished
reading an article in Munya Hoto's blog and it was about the tragedy
in Haiti. It is intresting to see how this has galvanized the leaders
in America and the world to one cause, I then wonder what kind of
catostrophe would it take for us to begin to pay attention to the
problems in Zimbabwe.

In Haiti over 70 000 people have died and more than 2 million are
left homeless in what is a natural disaster the aid effort there is
exceeding more than any country has ever recieved in the history of
the united nations aid which is being slowed down because of lack of
infrastructure and lack if local organization. I hope that it does not
take a magnitude 7.5 earthquake for the world to notice Zimbabwe.

It is wrong to exploit the suffering of others to bring attention to
your own plight I know, However I do believe that while us as
Zimbabweans in diaspora are giving to the haiti cause we must have a
moment of introspection and decide where we would be if this happened
to us. I hope this spurns a desire to want to help our own country
have a future! By helping Zimbabwe now we are averting a worse
scenario in the future. And because we only have OneYouth we only have
OneFuture .

1 comment: